The other week I sad that this was my all-time favorite salad. I take it back. My life has totally changed. I was much younger and very naïve then. I was a lost soul and totally misguided because I had yet to have this salad. This salad is definitely the best salads I have ever had. I’m not quite sure where to start. Everything in this dish is perfect. I probably enjoyed this so much because it’s basically all of my favorite flavors and ingredients combine. The dressing was flavorful and really complemented all of the fresh ingredients. If I had a ripe avocado on hand, I definitely would have thrown it in as well. You could also substitute shrimp or steak for the chicken or leave the meat out all together for a great vegetarian meal. This recipe makes a lot of salad, be hungry, or save the rest for leftovers. If you want leftovers, don’t toss the whole salad in the dressing all at once; add the dressing to your individual servings to prevent soggy lettuce.
Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup light sour cream or greek yogurt (or a combination of the two)
- 1 chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili or chipotle powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 limes, juiced
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To prepare dressing: combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and well mixed.
- 4 cups shredded lettuce (I used 1 head of ‘live’ butter lettuce)
- 2 chopped grilled skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or you can use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced with seeds discarded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 (15-ounce) can large black olives, sliced
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- crushed tortilla chips
- To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients, except for the tortilla chips, in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Top with tortilla chips. Serve immediately.