So, I totally cheated when I made this. I used a boxed mix. And I’m totally okay with that. A couple months ago at Whole Foods, I stumbled across a new-to-me gluten-free brand, Chebe. I’ve been obsessed ever since. They have several different mixes for bread rolls, bread sticks, pizza crust, sandwich bread, cinnamon rolls and focaccia. I’m not much of a bread person, but I absolutely love all the breads I’ve made from Chebe. Honestly, they might be some of the best breads I’ve ever had. Regardless of the mix I’ve used, the results have been light, airy and tasty.. One of the reasons I’m such a fan of these breads, is how versatile they are. The instructions have the option of mixing in cheese to the dough. I’ve always mixed in cheese, cheddar, parmesan, as long as it’s hard and melty, it seems to work.
Since I used a mix, this was super easy to make. There was also no yeast/water temperature/rising nonsense to worry about, which is another win in my book. Basically any basic dough or pizza crust recipe will work for this. It’s pretty obvious that I have a major caramelized onion problem, so I try to throw them on/in anything possibly, but lately I’ve been on a rosemary kick. This past Christmas, we got a rosemary plant Christmas tree from Trader Joe’s and it’s still alive and kicking so it would be rude not to use it (and yes, I also used part of our ‘christmas’ tree to flavor our christmas dinner (and yes, I am a Grinch.). After I made the dough, I spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet, brushed lightly with olive oil and topped with rosemary, onions and salt. The results were delicious. I had my flat bread straight up with some balsamic and it made for an amazing combination.
Gluten Free Rosemary & Caramelized Onion Flatbread
- Dough or pizza crust mix of choice (I like Chebe)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch caramelized onions
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- sea salt
- Prepare dough according to package instructions. Heat oven according to package.
- Spread dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil and top with caramelized onions and rosemary (or any other toppings you like). Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Bake according to instructions. Serve with balsamic and olive oil if desired.