So the other day I was perusing Saveur’s ‘50 More Food Blogs You Should Be Reading‘, I stumbled upon some new blogs that are definitely worth reading. I was particularly excited to discover The Year In Food! This blog is all about seasonal cooking and using the best of what is in season. All the recipes are beautifully photographed and definitely make me want to head out to farmers’ market as soon as possible.
The first recipe that really grabbed my attention was the Strawberry and Black Pepper Crisps. I love crisps. There is something about the oatmeal mixture that is so much more enjoyable that a pie crust or cake. I’m also obsessed with strawberries, well any fruit really, in balsamic. Obviously, I was instantly sold on this. I did a straight switch for the original recipe’s oats and flour for Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Flour and Gluten Free Rolled Oats. It turned out perfectly!
I served up this amazing dessert with a spoonful of vanilla frozen yogurt and it was definitely the perfect accompaniment to this tangy berry, oaty cup of goodness.
Gluten- Free Strawberry and Black Pepper Crisps a la The Year in Food.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine strawberries, Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, flour and black pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine rolled oats, almonds, brown sugar, flour, cardamom, black pepper and salt. Add the cubed butter and work together with fingers to form a crumbly mixture.
- Grease 4 6-ounce ramekins.
- Divide strawberry mixture among ramekins. Top with the crumble mixture. Finish with another twist or two of the pepper mill over each crisp.
- Bake for about 20 minutes on a baking sheet, until tops are golden brown and fruit juices are bubbling through.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.